This Intermediate course is designed for roaster operators who are already working in the coffee industry and already have some experience roasting coffee.
This class builds on information from the Foundation level course, which covers basic terminology, the roast process, and introduces new roaster operators to the skill of differentiating roasts of different color or roast degree, such as light and dark roasts. This course builds on that knowledge to expand the operators understanding of roast color and how to control the machine to consistently achieve a desired roast.
Roasting Foundation, Sensory Foundation and Green Coffee Foundation are all strongly recommended pre-requisites but are not mandatory.
Half of the class time will be spent in hands-on activities, to include the following:
- Learn to visually identify the stages of a roast
- Performing at least five different roasts (goal: match a color using varying profile strategies)
- Conduct multiple cupping triangulations
- Use a color meter to guage roast degree
There are also considerable testing requirements to receive certification in SCA Roasting Intermediate:
- Written test
- Practical tests
- Perform 3 roasts: one as a color reference and the other two must match it in color
- Perform 2 triangulations: differentiate between different roast degrees and different roast development times
- Visually ID roast stages
- Correctly and completely fill in a roast profile log sheet
This course will be taught in English.
- Controlling the roast to achieve color consistency batch after batch
- Using science to improve the craft
After attending this course, the student will have a deeper understanding of the roasting process and how to control the roast to achieve a given, end roast color. This will improve the operator’s consistency.
Course contents include
- Using various devices to measure and quantify the roast profile
- Perform various calculations to define the roast process
- Gaining insight into some of the physics involved in roasting
- Gaining insight into the Maillard reaction and some of its products
- Gaining insight into various acids in coffee throughout the roasting process
Dates: February 27 - March 1
Schedule: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Instructor: Michael Wright
Registration: Register with the host via WhatsApp messenger: 0822-5533-5758 (Mon-Fri, 9AM-5PM UTC/GMT +7)
Location: 5758 Coffee Lab, Rusa Pinus Raya No. E-1D, Jl. Pinus Raya Barat, Komplek Pondok Hijau Indah, Gegerkalong, 50153 Bandung
Can't make this event but want to be notified of future courses? Use the form below to subscribe to my email list (be sure to check "Coffee Training" as an interest) and I'll send you an email notification before the next class.